Thursday, August 13, 2009

Training with a Porpoise


Yesterday was a pool workout: Easy 3x500m. On the last set i started into something i call "Porpoising" or "Dolphining." i'm guessing these words are already taken to mean leaping over waves, like when one is making his or her way over waves into an ocean. For me, it simply means a playful, free swim, going wherever the current (well, the black line at the bottom) takes me. It also means focusing on my form by feeling where my dorsal fin (ok, my back, arms, head, legs) is in the water. Last night when i did this i "played" with my stroke and found when i made a little tweak-- rotating just a tad more on each side -- i was able to reach out a little more, use my back muscles more than my arms, and decrease my stroke count by 2 per length.

Two related notes:
1) It needs work, but i can do a so-so impression of Flipper.
2) Learning moment: there are differences between dolphins and porpoises.

Today's pace run had mixed results. My goal was to warm up, then run 3-5 at marathon goal pace (around 7:30). Thankfully, Ryan was there to push me, but pace mile 4 really tailed off and i had to walk/jog in the cool down. At the top of the Ped bridge i remember thinking that maybe 30 years of running is enough and i should just be done with this. Sure, i did have a tough hill workout 2 days ago, but still frustrating. Hoping i can be more positive than negative moving forward.

Related note: 1) On the run, Ryan mentioned he was hit by an SUV this morning while on a bike ride. He's OK. Glad for that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails