Sunday, May 16, 2010

Lincoln Marathon 2010


23 weeks before the Lincoln Marathon i slowly started running, in hopes i could overcome injury and race again.  7 weeks before, i completed my first 20 miler of the year.  3 weeks before, i had a week with 14 Yasso 800s (track repeats) and my third 20+ miler.  The day before, i ran 2 miles and thought that my time spent running was my best in years.  Add to that a solid foundation of swimming, biking, stair climbing, and lifting, things seemed promising.

The morning of the race, i felt good.  i wasn't sick.  i hadn't torn a hamstring during my last workout.  My nutrition prep was good.   i got decent sleep.  What was not to like?  30 minutes before the race was picture time.  My cousins Polly, Matt, Tiff, and Lindsey were all there to enjoy the half-marathon.  What a great moment.  Loved it.  Around 40 of my running co-workers were there too, each getting after their own goals.  And, of course, Jodi was there to run her 13.1 miles.

15 minutes before the race Jodi & i lined up in a comfy spot and relished the almost perfect weather. Removed some extra hats and gloves, National Anthem, kiss, hug, stretch, go.....

For the first time, i used my Garmin (GPS) to help me stick to my goal pace, which was 7:38s.  i thought i would try to run an even pace -- more or less -- in hopes of reaching the finish line in 3 hours 20 minutes.  At least that was my dream goal.   Through 10K i was running 7:39s.  Excellent.  Halfway through at 13.1 i was running 7:45s.  A touch slower, but still within close reach of my goal.  i realized i'd have to pick it up about 5 seconds per mile, so mile 14 was a bit faster than 13, but still only a 7:37.  Mile 15 i let get away from me a little, an 8:31.  Somewhere during mile 16 i was unable to find the faster gear i needed and realized that a 3:20 and a chance at a BQ was fading fast.  Mile 16 split was 9:18.  That was the end of my dream and effectively the end of my day.  i didn't completely roll over at that point, though, as i tried to battle.  My next two miles were 9:00 and 9:05.  i knew i'd finish, but my projected time made me sad.

Jodi was able to hop on her bike right after finishing her half-marathon and flew out to cheer me in.  i am so blessed to have such an amazing wife be my biggest fan, closest training partner, and a true friend.  My final time was officially 3:49:25.  Yes, i am glad to have finished my first marathon in 5 years (not including Ironman).  But i am left with the mystery of how i could train so hard and smart and have almost perfect race conditions and still come up so short.  This will either be the end of my window of opportunity at this distance or it will somehow make me stronger.

For the record, the splits on my Garmin (which were progressively further behind the official mile markers) i am only noting for trending purposes, due to the margin of error.  7:34, 7:33, 7:43, 7:34, 7:43, 7:13, 7:45, 7:41, 7:46, 7:35, 7:43, 7:52, 7:52, 7:37, 8:32, 9:18, 9:00, 9:05, 9:30, 10:10, 10:31, 9:47, 10:18, 10:56, 10:17, 10:49, 3:47.

1 second after crossing the finish line, i was done dealing.  i was able to remain standing, but i had nothing left.  While that meant that i had given everything i had on this particular day, it still left me frustrated that i didn't have more to give.  i got a recovery massage, spent a little time in the medical tent after i had trouble shaking some shivers, hobbled my way to some macaroni and cheese and root beer, and with Jodi's help made it home to start the healing process.

Disappointing personal performance aside, i had a great time.   Again, Jodi is the best.  i love you, hon.  And it was so great to see my cousins and know they were on the course.  And then there were the many victories of my Gallup associates and other friends, not the least of which was Jeff Wilber crushing his PR and qualifying for Boston with style.

4 days after the race, i still was having trouble walking, especially getting up and down curbs.   My quads were especially sore.  8 days after the race, i stopped using the elevators at work.  Now, i ponder my running future and refine my goals... again.    Meanwhile, i'll simply be content with and thankful for the ability and the courage to continue down the trail, wherever it may lead.

1 comments:

Jodi said...

I am so proud of you David! You worked so hard this year and had a great race in spite of some disappointments. I love you and I love cheering you on!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails